breaking loops

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 16:20:24 MST 2008

At 14:10 -0700 31/3/08, Jurgen Goering wrote:

>John, why does the shape of the part of the hook that doesn't
>contact the string matter?  Couldn't it be even flat or concave?

Apprarently a fair question, but if you think about it, when the eye
is being wound the wire is very in contact with the sides of the
hook.  Look at the indentation where the wire has over the years worn
a mark on the hook

As to Ron's solution to his problem by requesting a longer,
sharper-pointed eye, I have no doubt that it worked but the problem
lay elsewhere.  The shape of the English eye that I make and most
makers throughout stringmaking history have made, without incurring
breakages, is perfectly good provided it is made properly.