[pianotech] damaged hammers

Chris White whitesounds at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 16:34:55 PST 2008

Hello list:  I have a situation where the hammers on a piano seem to be
eaten or chewed, with no signs of mice.   They have a stain on them as
well.  The condition apparenly started within the last two years, since a
well known tech had worked on this piano before his death and never
mentioned anything to the owner.  I am enclosing pictures to help anybody
diagnose the problem.  Also, with the same piano, rust has formed under the
pressure bar almost welding the strings in place.  To the owners knowledge,
no water has ever been spilt on the piano - (no leaking roofs, no plants put
on the piano, etc.).  They don't live in a high humidity cliamate.
Could some kind of chemical have been used to cause this?  Any suggestions
on what could cause this, and how to go about removing the rust?  (and
yes... it's under the whole plate).

--
WhiteSounds Piano Tuning & Repair
1-877-588-6464    403-952-0792