[pianotech] Beat Speed of 5th Decrease in Treble?

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 09:11:31 PST 2008

I have read threads where someone mentions that the beat speed of 5ths
should decrease in the treble and that 5ths even become wide of just
intonation. I have been trying to figure out how this could be, both
theoretically and in practice.

Theoretically, it seems that this could only occur if each octave was tuned
more than 2 cents wider than the octave below it. In practice, my 5ths beat
rate increases, not decreases, in the treble. If I try to stretch the
octaves so that they beat slower, this results in unbearably busy octaves
and 4ths.

The only thing I can figure out is that the threads are referring to 3:2
5ths and I am listening to 6:4 5ths (which I believe I am). I imagine when
taking into account inharmonicity that a 4:2 or 6:3 octave could result in
the 3:2 5ths beating slower going up the treble while the 6:4 5ths beat
faster. But then what about going down into the bass? Wouldn't the 3:2 5ths
beat faster going down into the bass? That is hard for me to believe.

So, can anyone one help me to understand this? I feel like there is a piece
missing in this puzzle.

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.