[pianotech] FW: Dampp-Chaser component issues

Alfred Saginario asaginar at verizon.net
Wed Nov 5 18:36:28 PST 2008

As a full time music teacher and part time piano technician, I've run
into this same problem in my school district. Our situation is even
more extreme - we're not allowed to use extension cords at all!

When they did our annual fire inspection two years ago, we were told
we couldn't use an extension cord on the end of the Dampp Chaser cord
- apparently  due to NY state fire regulations. We also aren't
allowed to have any splices in the cable or use anything other than
the type of cord that has the molded plug (no screw terminals or
"squeeze-on" type plugs).

I called Dampp Chaser and they built us a humidistat with a 30 foot
cord. I noticed last week that the green power light is off, so I
suspect that our 30 foot cable is shot and we'll have to buy another
humidistat. Two years ago I asked if they can just replace the cord,
but they can't do that. I seem to remember that it was an issue with
the UL rating for the device.

Al Saginario
PTG Associate
Horseheads, NY