[pianotech] FW: Dampp-Chaser component issues

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 19:50:29 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 8:36 PM, Alfred Saginario <asaginar at verizon.net>wrote:

>  As a full time music teacher and part time piano technician, I've run
> into this same problem in my school district. Our situation is even more
> extreme - we're not allowed to use extension cords at all!
>
> When they did our annual fire inspection two years ago, we were told we
> couldn't use an extension cord on the end of the Dampp Chaser cord -
> apparently  due to NY state fire regulations

This sounds completely ridiculous.  I know different states have differing
regulations.  But common sense should prevail here.  A DC system connected
to an extension cord has next to no chance of danger whatsoever.  Do they
allow you to connect vacuum cleaners to an extension cord?  Whew!

> . We also aren't allowed to have any splices in the cable or use anything
> other than the type of cord that has the molded plug (no screw terminals or
> "squeeze-on" type plugs).

That's a bit more understandable.  But, still, a properly fitted, non-molded
plug is perfectly safe.  That is, after all, the basic setup of the wall
outlet: insulated wire connected to a non-molded receptacle .

I'm shocked, er, pardon the pun. :-)

--
JF