[pianotech] Somewhat OT -- Spam Software

Ron Berry ron at berrypiano.com
Sat Nov 8 20:30:43 PST 2008

The behavior you describe is exactly what I would expect. We have moved
to a different server at a different hosting company. There have been lots of
things that had to be fixed. We were only able to export the subscriber list
for the 110 email lists. We lost all the configuration and I have spent most of
this last week doing that.

So..  it means that the lists were fairly wide open to begin with, that would
account for the spam that went through. We were unable to run the spam
software that we had been running. Then we added a different spam filter.
Then I set it at what would be an overly tight level so I could see when we
would start to get false positives. I found that level and then allowed 4
messages through that had been labelled as SPAM in the subject line.  My
gmail didn't put those in the spam bucket but you might have your filters set
to do that. I have been watching the posts to all the lists to see what is
labelled as SPAM. I think we may be at a safe level that will trap most of the
bad stuff and none of the good stuff. There will undoubtedly be some spam
that gets through but I would rather have that than trap a legitimate
message. You own spam filter should be able to take care of that.

There were numerous issues with the web site code because we are
running on newer versions of apache, mySQL, and PHP. I think things have
calmed down.

ron

On 8 Nov 2008 at 21:13, paul bruesch wrote:

> Ever since the software upgrade, I've started having ~15% - 20% of my pianotech messages go to
> my gmail spam. Yesterday, I started receiving other legit emails in my gmail spam bucket as well.
> Any other gmail users experiencing this? It's annoying to suddenly have to start creating filters just
> to get proper delivery, which up 'til now has been essentially flawless. Paul Bruesch
> Stillwater, MN

Ron Berry Piano Service
Indianapolis, IN 46220
317-255-8213