[pianotech] Measuring Bass String Lengths

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Nov 9 18:35:40 PST 2008

With a thin tape as is provided by various string makers (JD Grandt, Sanderson, Areledge) you can get the tape between or under the dampers (if you lift them with the pedal) and they have something to hook around the hitch that will give you an accurate measure even with the strings on.

As far as a minimum length for rescaling, often the shorter pianos will benefit the most from a reexamination of the scale.  That's not to say that longer pianos don't also benefit.  Recently I rescaled a Steinway D bass section to convert the trichords to bichords and in the process try to smooth the tenor bass transition and increase the fundamental strength in the monochords with good succes.  Things can be improved on many pianos.  I don't order a set of bass strings without examining the scaling nor restring the plain wire section without looking at that as well.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com
415 661 3666