[pianotech] Suggestions and help for and old Sohmer Grand, serial number 10356

J. W. Stein musicnow at frontiernet.net
Mon Nov 10 05:06:05 PST 2008

I was called in to do some work on an old Sohmer Grand, serial number 10356.

I have never seen such a action before.   Instead of capstan screws at
the end of the keys, there is a key button looking piece with two screws
into the key.
The repitition is attached directly to the key via a slotted flange like
piece.  Has anyone ever seen anything like this and can anyone recommend
a way to remove the key from keybed for repair.   It seems as though in
order to remove one key you would have to remove the whole hammer rail
and bracket
but the only way to do that would be to unslot each of the above slotted
pieces.  Oy Vey!!!!!

Any help would be appreciated.   Also, are parts for this old baby
available anywhere.

Jon