[pianotech] Cement floors and brick walls with high ceilings

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Thu Nov 13 20:18:24 PST 2008

That's a description of the new store.   It sounds terribly reverberant.

 I had to prep an Estonia 9' for a music teachers' recital last weekend.  Octaves 5 and 6 had fast, fluttering false beats, and little power. The long side of the piano was along one of the brick walls.  Do you think the concrete floor could be causing the false beating, and the bricks absorbing some of the treble brilliance?

The 6' Estonia about 20' away, approximately in the center of the room, sounded like the bigger, richer piano. I didn't tune it, so don't know about false beats.

Diane Hofstetter