[pianotech] minimum service charge

tuner at helmsmusic.net tuner at helmsmusic.net
Sun Nov 16 18:57:59 PST 2008

David, I like your preventive approach, except I go one step further - I
recommend to all of my customers (on my first visit) that they train
themselves and their kids to avoid putting ANYTHING except music on the
music rack - no pencils, paper clips, etc. Instead, I recommend they
purchase a small decorative table and place it beside the piano, and train
everybody to place all of that stuff there, and get into the habit of
ALWAYS placing it there. My customers always respond with "oh, that's a
good idea!" Granted, it's a long-term process to get everybody to learn
this, but once I've made the recommendation, I don't feel bad about
charging a service call to remove things - it's just a little
reinforcement of my recommendation (kind of a "told-ya-so" moment!)

I also remove the fallboard at every appointment and pull out all the
stuff on top of the keys, and show it to my customer. They often didn't
even know it was there.
--
Scott A. Helms, RPT
Helms Music Enterprises