[pianotech] Yamaha GH1 tenor instability

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Mon Nov 17 11:43:10 PST 2008

Ironically enough, I've just returned from servicing a mid-90's GH1.  In all honesty, this is the most stable piano I tune.  I know, I know, it goes against so much of what we have come to expect.  Tuned annually, no Dampp Chaser, resides in a nicer, newish home which likely has April Aire, but, really!  No wound strings on the treble bridge, and the first plain wire note was not more than4 cents sharp.  That was the worst note.  Go figure, and this piano is this way nearly every time I see it.  In fact, I tuned it today, and it hadn't been tuned since 8/07.

FWIW

William R. Monroe

  -----
  When they first came out, Yamaha replaced one for a church, (about 20 years ago). But now they don't admit that there is a problem.

  Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT

Thanks everybody for your thoughts on pinblock fit.  Have any of you
had satisfaction from
Yamaha service center regarding this 'poor design'?

Debra Feiger, RPT