[pianotech] Bug infestation in piano

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 17:59:41 PST 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Carman <cgpiano at suddenlink.net> wrote:

>  My Colleagues,
>
>   A client of mine has recently moved her piano back from a house in
> Portland which was infested with BEDBUGS.
>
> She is concerned that bedbugs may also be in the piano so she is keeping it
> in the garage until I can advise her how to safely exterminate a potential
> bedbug colony.
>
>  So I am turning to you:  what products or techniques are safe to
> exterminate bedbugs from a piano?
>
> Carman Gentile RPT
> Redwood Chapter

Carman,
Would it be a good first step to see if bedbugs would even inhabit a piano?
 I think they must feed on blood, which is why they hang out near and in
beds, then come out at night to feed.

Maybe Googling for some basic info on bedbugs would be helpful.  If you find
out they might live in a piano, I'd contact an exterminator (or find out
what they use).  Bedbugs are becoming more of a problem in America than in
times past (mostly in larger cities).  Because of the recent increase, I bet
a good exterminator will be knowledgeable about this.

--
JF