[pianotech] Proposed California Sales Tax on Furniture Repair

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Nov 18 10:26:20 PST 2008

David Love wrote:
> No.  Services are not taxable in California.   California sales tax will
> soon be 10%.  Adding 10% to your tuning fees will likely preclude any
> reasonable cost of living increases for awhile.  Adding $2500 to a
> $25,000 rebuilding job can be a deal breaker unless you simply decide to
> take it out of your own pocket.  I hope the California techs are
> speaking up to their local representatives.
>

> We’ve had to collect Texas sales tax on piano tuning since 1984.  I
> thought that was pretty universal by now.  You haven’t been collecting
> sales tax in California???
  >
> David M. Porritt, RPT

It's amazing to me how everyone does virtually everything
differently. We collect sales tax on everything we do: tuning,
parts, and labor, at whatever the current sales tax happens to
be this year - contingent on whatever local good ol' boy
pocket warmer showcase construction project we're paying for
at the time. It's gone from 2% when I was a kid, to 7.3%, and
is currently (momentarily) at 6.3% until they decide what to
soak us for the newly voted school bond pocket warmer. And the
tax goes on top of that $25,000 rebuild job, just like if they
bought a car. Jobs I get in from other techs are considered
work for other dealers, for resale, and they handle the sales
tax on their end.
Ron N