[pianotech] Proposed California Sales Tax on Furniture Repair

Norman Dutton duttonpiano at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 19 10:54:23 PST 2008

Hi all,

I'm David Ilvedson's apprentice and a first time poster, but I've been
"lurking" for quite a while.

I agree with both Daves on this topic. We could just ignore it, but if
someone gets audited, it would be up to the auditor how to apply this
law. To be proactive on this, we could start a letter writing campaign.
I'm quite certain the legislature in Sacramento is oblivious to the side
effects of this bill. My wife is a worker's comp attorney, and they're
still working the bugs out of the worker's comp legislation passed a few
years ago. To ensure that this is interpreted the way we want it to be,
i.e., a piano is an instrument and NOT a piece of furniture, everybody
should write a letter to your representative in the state legislature.
Let he/she know the financial impact of this tax and ask for an exemption.

I think it's worth a shot.

Norman Dutton