[pianotech] Wood box for grand

joel a. jones jajones2 at wisc.edu
Thu Nov 20 11:30:06 PST 2008

Alan,

You bring up a point I had forgotten because we routed notches in our
concert
piano many years ago.   One of the smarter things we did as it keeps
the stage
crew from pulling on the lid to guide the piano.  In a pinch one person
can move
the piano off/on stage with the 'hand holds' cut under the keybed.

I was concerned about the removal of the wood from under the keybed,
but we
never had any problem.   The cut was wide enough to get your four
fingers
into the slot, and about one inch deep.  Make the hole  in the middle
of the
piano just far enough apart to reach comfortably with your hands beside
you
and approximately 3 inches from the front of the keybed.

Try it you'll like it.

Joel
Joel Jones, RPT
Madison, WI