[pianotech] Downbearing

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sat Nov 22 12:47:10 PST 2008

Hi Jim,

What kind of downbearing measures are important to you?  In the photos you posted, it looks like you are zeroing on the speaking length, and measuring the change when you move to the back length.  Is this just an example of the ease of the gauge, or is it what you really measure?  Other measures important to you?  Why?

In talking with Dale E in Chicago this Fall, and seeing his bearing check gauges which are a go/nogo type, he said that for the way he works, he's only interested in bearing in the speaking length, relative to the bridge cap (correct me here, Dale if I err) and only in a "some, none, lots" type of measure.

I'm just interested in your perspective.

William R. Monroe

  Noah,

  Instead of the Lowell gauge, I'm using a Wixey digital gauge to read the downbearing angles directly, without
  translating from the lowell's bubble readings or dial indicator readings.

  Any woodworking mail order carries them.

  The "foot" is dead simple to make, right out of the scrap bin.
  pics attached

  Jim I