[pianotech] Downbearing

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sat Nov 22 18:27:10 PST 2008

Are you then assuming that the line that is effectively the "bottom of the triangle" from the Agraffe/capo to hitch is perfectly horizontal?  To what reference do you zero the gauge?  Do you assume the top of the bridge cap is parallel to the "bottom of the triangle" as well?

William R. Monroe

  >What kind of downbearing measures are important to you?

  >William R. Monroe

  Hi Bill,

  I'm interested in how much a straight undisturbed total length of string, from agraffe/capo to hitch pin,
   is deflected vertically at the bridge speaking length termination

  Knowing total length(agraffe to hitch), knowing speaking length, and back length, the angle over the bridge,
  my spreadsheet lets me know what the downbearing is per string.
  Since the rib scale spreadshet on  RC&S designs specifies how much load each rib is designed to carry.
  I use that info to plan my before stringing bridge height and adjust (adjustable plate suspension bolts, or vertcal hitches)
   how much I have loaded  the board post stringing.

  Jim I

  Grandpianosolutions.com(under construction)
  Shirley, Ma
  (978) 425-9026