[pianotech] Fwd: Downbearing

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 23 06:18:54 PST 2008

>Are you then assuming that the line that is effectively the "bottom of the triangle" from the Agraffe/capo
> to hitch is perfectly horizontal?  To what reference do you zero the gauge?

"Horizontal" is not a reliable index here. Even if the piano case is perfectly level, the string angles vary, and are most likely not level to the case anyway.
I'm measuring the included angle between front and back segments (I think other posts are calling that net bearing...is that right?)

Zero it on the speaking length and read the angle formed between the two on the back length.
> Do you assume the top of the
>bridge cap is parallel to the "bottom of the triangle" as well? I ignore the segment on the top of the bridge cap for this measurement. That segment does corrupt the precise mathematical relationship
but its close enough for jazz. Too much hair splitting and I go off into la-la land.

The more I learn what I'm doing here, the less picky, at least in my experience with new rc&s boards, the downbearing seems to be.
(Please take that as a relative statement...I'm not saying it's unimportant, just that the optimum window seems to be bigger than I originally thought.)

My interest in the "precise" angle of downbearing is more to confirm that what I predicted would happen in terms of loaded new crown deflection
did or didn't actually happen, and why. But I don't get carried away with even knowing the "precise" angle with the digital guage, because its still not a perfect
measuring device, and the weight of the guage on the front string no matter how carfully its placed, slightly deflects the speaking length.

Jim I

Grandpianosolutions.com(under construction)
Shirley, Ma
(978) 425-9026