[pianotech] Downbearing

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Sun Nov 23 09:53:40 PST 2008

> It's very mystic. Get yourself some Henbane, a small round rock, and a
> toad... No, wait, that's something else. Ok, here's the deal. A bridge
> with the top parallel to the bottom, strangely as if it had passed through
> a planer, sitting more or less centered on a line of crowned ribs, will
> make the bridge top close to parallel to a line from agraffe to hitch,
> which will get you positive bearing on both front and back of the bridge.
> Where the comparison of these angles ends up depends on the final net
> downbearing angle, and how much it has deflected the board.
> Ron N
I am curious about how you would apply this reasoning in the treble section
of a RC board.
If your bridge is set to the apex of the radius cut into the rib, I have
found that it is not possible to get the bridge to align with the apex of
the radius cut into the top few ribs starting in the upper tenor
section(that is unless you want to change this apex rib line dramatically).
The bridge will not move straight down when load is applied - moves more at
an angle toward the capo .
Is a bit of guess work needed here to avoid loosing front bearing?
Is is safe enough to plane the bridge in this area based on the sample
notches cut when setting bearing (same as the other sections of the piano
where this is not an issue) and always end up with positive front bearing?
Gene