[pianotech] Downbearing

Dean May deanwmay at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 11:55:52 PST 2008

>>I don't see any relationship to vertical hitches here either.???
>>Ron N

Sorry if I wasn't clear. This probably won't help.

I sat in on a class by Del Fandrich and he was talking about using the
vertical hitch pins with the groove at the top to hook the string around. He
gave as a reason to improve the flexibility of the backscale especially in
the bass. The groove allows the string to pivot up and down with the
vibrations.

A postive backscale angle will impede bridge movements up more than down.
Vice versa for a negative angle. A zero backscale angle will have equal
impedance in either direction.

As I said, I am only speaking out of what seems intuitive to me.

--
Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272