[pianotech] Bore angle

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sun Nov 23 12:48:54 PST 2008

Glad I can help.  I still feel so "new" after 17 years! that I'm always
learning something, and whatever I can contribute makes me feel a little
more worthy...  Sounds like you're doing the right thing..even changing
angles  at really small degree changes...  or less than 1 degree, but
maybe that's too anal...just for looks when it comes to that.

PW

"Paul Chick" <tune4u at fmwildblue.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
11/22/2008 07:41 PM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

<pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [pianotech] Bore angle

Thanks for the information and the humor.  It’s what I need to lay out the
sweep in the middle octaves, going down to zero degrees 3 hammers at a
time.
Paul C

Subject: Re: [pianotech] Bore angle

I do this too, Paul.

The smoother transitions also look a bit  sharper.  Wally Brooks, who I
have bore the Abel Naturals I get from him are very nice..He may have a
good guideline for you all to follow if you want to do your own.  I find
the price I pay for having him do it saves me money, and mostly time
(but...time is money) in the long run.  There's just too many pianos to
care for here at UNL (I'm by myself with 106!  I know...waaaa!) to take
several hours to measure and bore my own.  He does a great job. I have at
least one set of blank Abels here in the shop that I'm not sure I will
ever use (in case anybody's interested in purchasing....contact me off
line if you want)  I'm pretty good at boring, but just don't have time to
do it...I won't bore you with any more details!  ;>)

Paul

paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
11/20/2008 03:02 PM

Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [pianotech] Bore angle

1-26: 5 1/2 degrees right
27-33: 9 1/2 left
34-39: 7
40-46: 4 1/2
47-53: 2
54-88: 0

These are factory specs. Adjust accordingly. I always add more angle
breaks, about every 3 hammers. Makes smoother transitions.

Paul