[pianotech] Stringmaking Question

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Nov 23 13:55:05 PST 2008

Hi John:

I definitely think you are hoping for too much.  I'd be happy if I could get
some of the bass string suppliers to properly read and reproduce
measurements that are correct.  Recently I ordered  6 replacement bass
strings for 3 different pianos, and provided accurate measurements for each.
When I got the strings, all 6 of them had windings that were 4 to 6 inches
too long and were unusable.  My measurements were accurate, the strings
weren't.  This is a continuing problem with suppliers.  I don't know what
the answer is, other than to send them the strings to reproduce.

Will Truitt