[pianotech] Downbearing

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Mon Nov 24 11:02:51 PST 2008

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Dean May
Sent: November 23, 2008 11:56 AM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Downbearing

I sat in on a class by Del Fandrich and he was talking about using the vertical
hitch pins with the groove at the top to hook the string around. He gave as a
reason to improve the flexibility of the backscale especially in the bass. The
groove allows the string to pivot up and down with the vibrations.

Not quite the way I think I said that. The vertical hitch does allow the string
to pivot off of the pin rather than force the strings to bend. But that applies
to all nearly all vertical hitches regardless of their design. I used (and still
use) a vertical hitch with a groove to prevent the unenlightened changing of the
string bearing settings out in the field. (Don't ask....)

ddf