[pianotech] can I take a different tack?

aol bunkypiano at aol.com
Tue Nov 25 03:55:38 PST 2008

On uprights, the soft peddle is perfectly tailored for a mandolin or tack
rail.  I've used med heavy pneumatic motor cloth, cut a pattern from the
string angles in the center section, lower treble, and cut the middle of the
string spacings out of the cloth, leaving a sort of V shape, on the end you
may attach OK fasteners, which will, when pedal depressed, give you a great,
user controlled rinky-tink tone you desire.  Lay wide 2" or 3" masking tape
directly on the strings, graphite the pattern, apply tape to cloth, and
cut...quick, easy and lasts.
Tom Mc Nabb