[pianotech] Emil Fries 9 in 1 gage

Shawn Brock shawnbrock at fuse.net
Tue Nov 25 13:11:44 PST 2008

Julia,

I should be ashamed that I can't recall all 9 measurements.  I can remember the following though, 1/8 and 1/16 for letoff and drop, 3/16 for what ever you would use that for, 5/8 for checking, 1 7/8 and 1 3/4 for blow distance and I think 3/8 appears on the gauge as well.  If you consider the fact that 1/16 and 1/8 appear in two places on the gauge that brings you up to nine measurements.  I'm quite sure I'm leaving something out.  Its a useful tool for the Technical exam, if you have not taken it yet you might want to get one just for that purpose.  It was a big help to me on the exam.  I loaned my gauge to another person who took the exam and he found it to be vary useful as well.  Surprisingly Schaff does a good job machining these.  I understand they are pretty hard to manufacture.  Some of the older ones were off by as much as 1/16 on some of the measurements.  I think the aluminum version manufactured in the mid 90s are the ones you want to stay away from.  Hope this helps

Regards,
Shawn Brock, RPT
513-316-0563
www.shawnbrock.com