[pianotech] can I take a different tack?

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Tue Nov 25 16:53:04 PST 2008

<James wrote>
Subject: Re: [pianotech] can I take a different tack?

>I do not know why so many people disparage Schaff Piano Supply.  They have
> been my main supplier for 46 years now.  They give good solid service at
> reasonable prices and they are my supplier of all things piano .  Do not
> disparage one of the oldest piano supply companies around.  That is my 2
> cents worth.
> James Grebe

James,
 You make some good points and I too have used Schaff for many years (35!) .
 There is a pattern however of declining quality of parts and tools in my
opinion.
  Combo handles that the tools won't fit into. Tools that don't even
remotely resemble the catalog pictures .  Example --I ordered some spring
clamps for ivory gluing and they were so big and heavy it took two hands to
open them. (Back they went )
After 30+ years some of my tools have needed replacement . The great quality
"vintage" stuff with the Schaff   name I get on EBAY  illustrates the
decline I reference .
I will say that the staff is helpful , delivery is prompt and with Tuners
Supply  and American gone Schaff is the only option for items not available
at Pianotek , Mothergoose, Juergen ,Jansen etc. .
I will continue to use Schaff  but am worried because  this is the  trend we
saw with Tuners and American before their demise.
    JMHO
 Best wishes to you and all my other list pals on this holiday. Especially
my lurking friend--  D.O.
Tom Driscoll RPT

P.S. One correction--The staff at American was never helpful ! <G>