[pianotech] tack attack

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 27 05:51:02 PST 2008

List

Going back next week to convert an old Strohbe console into a tack piano.  I discussed with the owner the pros and cons and he decided he wants me to install actual tacks on the hammers.   He knows this will trash the hammers, but he doesn't care.  What he wants is that sound.

This guy has two state-of-the-art recording studios in his home where he records his own music.  He wants to do some recording with this tack piano.   I feel like I have one chance to get this right, if possible.

So...

This brings up a few questions.  Like the strike point in octave 7.  The tack is going to have more surface area than the hammer did.  Gotta get under the V-bar---I'm afraid if I just put it square on the end of the hammer it's going to hit the V-bar and not make any sound.   Any advice on this?  (Maybe I'll have to clip the top of the tack off to make a half circle?  Or...?)

And...what about the tacks themselves?  I mean, does anybody have any experience with this?   Is there any thing I should look for in choosing the actual tacks?  (The owner said, "Go to Office Depot and get the very best tacks you can find.  Don't skimp!"  He was being funny...)

Any advice from anyone who has actually done this would be invaluable.  And any advice from anyone who hasn't done this would be appreciated, too!

Thanks and I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving Day!

Tom Sivak
Chicago