[pianotech] More Volume

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Thu Nov 27 06:42:39 PST 2008

Hi Wim and Arlie:

With all due respect, I believe it is a mischaracterization to say as a
general statement that Baldwins are notorious for weak trebles.  That is
simply not my experience as a piano technician for 35 years, and a Baldwin
dealer for 7 of those.  One can certainly accuse Baldwin of many other sins.
In terms of volume and sustain, I would say that the Baldwin is at least as
good as most pianos in the treble on average.  So, I wouldn't want Arlie
approaching the piano with the belief that the weak treble is innate to the
make and have that color his expectations of the piano.  I think it is too
early to say that a weak treble is innate to this Baldwin.  There are many
potential causes for this weak treble including a horror show action rebuild
with corn puff cheapo hammers, and often many solutions to dramatically
improve it short of rebuilding.

I think that the first thing I would want to say to Arlie is to simply make
your mind blank and quiet, and approach the instrument without any
expectations.   And, as David Andersen will happily tell you, JUST LISTEN.
If you play piano yourself, play some familiar songs that use a fair amount
of treble.  Or garner the hand of a player (or the minister), and have them
play for you as you stand out a distance from the piano.  Let whatever
impressions come into your mind have their stay and write them down without
judging them.  After that point, I would ask the minister to talk about his
impressions at some reasonable length, again just listening and write your
notes down again.  If he is a player, it will be helpful to have him play a
bit and relay his impressions to you, particularly if there are certain
areas of the piano that he feels are deficient.

At that point, I would ask for some time alone with the piano to start doing
my detective work.  Reshaping a few test hammers are not a bad idea to see
if you are past the too soft top layers of hammer felt.  Removing the top
treble cheek block, slide the action in and out in small increments to check
for strike point issues.  If the treble volume improves with the action
being somewhere other than where it is set, adjust the cheek blocks to lock
in the best position that you have found.  Because the speaking lengths in
the high treble of the piano are so short, small errors in strike point can
have a large impact on the treble performance.

All of the suggestions made by others so far are good ones.  You can use
them to make a written checklist along with anything else that comes to your
mind.

I am going to assume that your servicing of this piano means tuning it.
This is a great opportunity to spend an hour or two of intimate time with
this piano.  I find this a really useful time to form impressions of the
instrument as I go along.  Let them pop into your head and write them down
on your notepad.  It probably would not be a bad idea to have the minister
play the piano after the tuning so as to have removed any colorations on his
impressions an out of tune piano might have, and being able to listen to an
in tune piano yourself will make your detective work a bit easier.

Bring a strong flashlight and inspect the soundboard.  Check the bridges for
splitting, the soundboard for cracking.  If you have some kind of
downbearing guage, check to see if there is any downbearing.  Take a
straight edge and crawl under the piano to check and see if there is
positive crown between the ribs in several places.  If there is no positive
downbearing and/or crown, this will likely be some indication that there are
board issues.

To me, one of the most important tests I can use to compare hammer and board
efficiency is the pluck test.  Lift the damper and pluck the string with
your fingernail or a guitar pick.  Listen to how the string sounds.  Is
there a bit of rise in volume as it continues to sound?  Or does it stay
steady and strong for a while?  If so, the board is healthy in that area.
Or, does it sound kind of weak and lifeless?

After listening to the pluck test on that note, immediately follow it by
having the hammer strike the string.  Go back and forth between plucking and
striking.  If the piano has more volume and sustain when you pluck, then the
problem is in the hammers, for which filing and needling may be the
solution.  If the piano is weak on the pluck test, you will have limited
success by working with the hammers.

Do the pluck test every octave or so throughout the piano, and compare with
the hammer strike.

It is really important to do good detective work before you start hosing the
hammers with the dope.  Otherwise you may end up treating the symptoms and
not the problem.  Most of us have definite protocol we follow in voicing and
this kind of detective work.  Generally the juice bottle will come out when
we have satisfied ourselves that other options for improvement have been
met, or that the hammers are indeed simply too soft in the problem areas and
hardening them is the answer.

Last but not least, what is the room that the piano is in like?  Is it very
heavily carpeted and draped?  Are there "dead spots" acoustically?

Good luck to you, Arlie.  Happy Thanksgiving to you and family.  Likewise
for you too, Wim.

Will Truitt