[pianotech] bass apron repair

richard.ucci at att.net richard.ucci at att.net
Sun Nov 30 08:43:08 PST 2008

List,
I need to repair a Wurly console bass apron which is cracked in two areas.
The procedure I'm planning to follow is:

1. Lower tension on bass section, remove bass strings from hitch pins,tie out of the way.
2. Remove apron and reglue.
3. Reattach apron and bass strings.
4. Pull strings up to pitch.

Are there always screws attached to the apron from the back?
Would it be better to use a tilter for this repair?
How long between glueing the apron and reattaching to soundboard?
How long before strings can be attached and pulled up to pitch?

Thanks,
Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano