fortepiano wire

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 6 00:49:48 MDT 2008

Subject:
fortepiano
From:
"David's Email" <ilvey at sbcglobal.net>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2008 20:24:29 -0700

To:
"Pianotech" <pianotech at ptg.org>, "College and University Technicians"
<caut at ptg.org>

*//**/>Looking in Schaff, I see a number of wire sizes smaller than
piano wire sizes.   I just >want to have sizes available for the
occasional fortepiano repair.../*

*/>David.../*

*//* No, that Schaff wire will not do - it's steel piano wire and too
stiff for either of Hester's models. They may be useful for autoharps or
hardboiled egg slicers...

You need either iron wire or brass wire. You'll just have to splurge for
the right stuff from Lutz Bungert (Instrument Workshop) or Hubbard or
Zuckerman. Or you can pass the job on to someone who works on them and
stocks the full assortment - because they will be breaking on you...

Israel Stein