[pianotech] Ethics and efficacy of part-time tuning

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 05:15:53 PDT 2009

David:

It is always nice to see glimpses of what is like to be on the other
side of the pond. I understand that it is illegal for anyone in London
to lay a brick unless they are a professional, unionized brick layer.

I get the idea that you are looking for validation that what you are
doing is OK. Well if it helps any, it’s OK with me! Sometimes I will
service a piano and wish that it turned out differently. And I wonder
what a “Big City” tuner might have done better. My solace is that I
know I did the very best that I could and that I will probably do even
better next time. Something that is very true, but does not make me
feel any better, is that I am the only one that will ever notice these
very small differences, that the piano was enormously better after I
serviced it, and because of humidity swings the little bit of
difference will be indiscernible in a couple of weeks.

Something that keeps a proper perspective is remembering that the
piano belongs to the CUSTOMER, not to me, and not to the ghost of an
imagined authoritarian looking over my shoulder. I am providing a
service to the CUSTOMER and the CUSTOMER decides if the service is
satisfactory, no one else.

Send the boojums packing, David.

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank