[pianotech] Build a Zapper

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 05:44:03 PDT 2009

All:

I think a pistol type solder gun can be easily adapted into a center
pin zapper. The cheap one that I have is a 65 watt model. It puts out
around 130 Amps at ½ volt. I made probes out of some copper wire, but
brazing rod would be better, and zapped some old flanges. At full
power it took seven mississippis to produce smoke. When plugged into
my light dimmer outlet, which I use for regulating the heat on the
shank bender and on the hammer iron, and turned down for ¼ volt output
it took 40 mississippis to produce smoke.

Of course a solder gun could be dismantled and all kinds of probes and
bell and whistles could be added. For instance, the temperature of the
pin will be proportional to the change of current while it is being
heated. Resistance increases along with temperature. An ammeter
installed on the 120v side could be used to regulate the temperature.

I wish I had had a zapper on a certain spinet that had sluggish
whippen flanges. I can imagine that using a solder gun with brazing
rod probes of the right length and wedge shape could have worked well
with the action in place.

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.