[pianotech] poly repair charges

Cliff Lesher lesher at dejazzd.com
Thu Apr 2 10:11:04 PDT 2009

On Apr 1, 2009, at 11:51 PM, wimblees at aol.com wrote:

> This is for those of you who do polyester repairs.
>
> I am going to MARC in a couple of weeks just to take Ruth's class
> on polyester repairs, because, according to the piano stores, and
> the other tuners I know, there is no one on Oahu who does this kind
> of work.
>
> I know how long it takes to tune a piano, and do most repairs, and
> my hourly rate is based on that. But I know that poly repairs can
> be completely unpredictable. Not only that,  people are not going
> to pay an estimate fee for a scratch.
>
> So how do you charge for this kind of work? Do you have a minimum,
> and then so much per hour after that? Or what?
>
> Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
> Piano Tuner/Technician

Ruth's course is good.  It sounds like you could do well by taking it
and then providing the service in your area.

I charge $10 more per hour for polyester repair than I do for other
piano work, time and material, plus tax.  To me, it's more
demanding.  For example, when I'm with a customer looking at a gouge
in a high-gloss, mahogany, grand lid and I've got to make it
disappear, the pressure's on.  Add to this the fact that repairs
sometimes don't go as predictably as planned and the pressure goes up
a bit more.  Also, damage often finds very difficult areas:
corners , edges, curves etc. where repairs demand some real
ingenuity.   Plus, you're dealing with sharp tools, stinky liquid
chemicals and dyes that can ruin many things if given assists from
gravity and carelessness.  Finally, customers seem to  be more
demanding when it comes to this stuff.  They may not know a wippen
from an aliquot, but they sure know what an unblemished surface is
supposed to look like.

Here's a story:  I repaired a chip in an vertical piano.  The chip
was out of a rear, bottom corner, way back where no one would ever
notice it even if the exposed substrate was "Magic Markered" to the
same black color as the rest of the piano.  I filled, carved, sanded
and polished.  When finished, I asked the customer to come have a
look.  Both husband and wife came to the piano, set up two task
lights aimed at the repair, got down on their knees, examined the
repair with a large magnifying glass, and declared that they could
still see where the damage had been.  To me, it was a good repair; to
them, it sucked.  I suggested that they give a free bowl of soup to
anyone (besides themselves) who ever noticed the repair.  They
laughed.  I left.

Quite often, damage is the result of moving.  Repairs are covered by
insurance.  Estimates are common and necessary.

So, I guess I'm saying that polyester repair isn't for the faint
heart and this, coupled with the fact that there aren't too many
people doing it, warrants the premium.  As an aside, I know two in my
area who took the course but no longer do polyester.

Please keep this in mind when you're in that class, with no real time
constraint;  filling, carving, sanding and polishing that tiny ding
in the center of that flat scrap of polyester.  This is as benign as
it will ever get.

Cliff Lesher
Winfield, PA