[pianotech] justify pitch raise

James Johnson jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 3 08:00:09 PDT 2009

i,
I am a "strictly aural tuner" and have been for 43 years.  I face this
situation several times a week and I've never had a problem explaining the
need to do a double tuning.  I use a Sanderson Accufork to get my starting
note and I can set the new pitch and then let the customer hear the
difference between it and the piano.  If the piano is flat enough to need a
pitch raise, the customer will hear the difference and will usually react
with some kind of "ouch" kind of sound.  Even when I used a traditional
tuning fork years ago, I don't remember having a problem explaining the need
because the customer could still hear the difference.  I also take the time
to explain why I can't just pull the piano up and tune it in one operation.
Educating the customer, however you do it, is the key.  If they happen to
play the guitar or other string instrument, it will be even easier for them
to understand that the strings react to each other as they are tuned.