[pianotech] Aural vs. ETD

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 3 09:02:20 PDT 2009

Hi, Matthew:
    The aural test for RPT is done by tuning the piano by ear first by the examiners.  It is then programmed into the ETD, and detuned for the examinee.  It is very fair, and the ETD allows an accurate way to measure the discrepancies between the "best" tuning and the one being examined.  If the examinee's tuning is deemed to be wrong, he can try to prove to the examiners that the tuning is correct by showing various tests to prove his point.  If he cannot, then points are deducted.  An expert aural tuner can do just as well as one who uses an ETD, though many would say even better.
    Paul mcCloud
    San dieGo