[pianotech] justify pitch raise

Daniel Carlton carltonpiano at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 3 13:54:31 PDT 2009

Really, 20 cents, and you can get clean, stable unisons at pitch in
one pass?  I am not able to do that.  In fact, I had been routinely
pitch-raising home pianos that were substantially more than 4 cents
off until I read in the PTG published pamphlet that the "standard" for
when a pitch raise was needed was 8 cents.  I tried that a couple of
times, with unsatisfactory results.  So I'm back to around 4 cents for
home use and 2 cents for critical situations (concerts and
recordings).  How do you do it?

Alan Eder

Alan, I've notice that it depends on how off-pitch the entire piano
is. If I measure A4 as flat by 4 cents or so, but the rest of the
piano is flatter in sections, then i do a pitch correction for sure,
but if the rest of the piano is about that flat, then I feel I can
safely pull it up without anything falling back flat. It might be my
imagination, but I don't feel that I can do the same thing if it's
sharp. I usually do a pitch correction if the piano is even 4 cents
sharp, all over of course.

Daniel Carlton