[pianotech] Aural vs. ETD

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Apr 4 10:54:05 PDT 2009

David Love wrote:
> Right.  How does tuning in a variety of historical temperaments or with
> varying amounts of stretch fit into that idealized notion of a “perfect”
> tuning.  There’s a pretty wide range of perfect in this art form.

It doesn't. In my opinion, the notion of an absolute tuning,
the resurrection of historical temperaments, and the 2 cent
tolerance on pitch adjustment were all made possible by
widespread use of modern ETDs. We now have more decimal places
within which to argue, which puts us well beyond the practical
resolution of most of the pianos we tune, and nearly all of
our customers.

Ron N