[pianotech] Aural vs. ETD

Alexander Lass lasspiano at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 17:20:50 PDT 2009

As a relatively new (and student) technician, my thoughts on this
subject may not merit as much attention as those with more experience
who have contributed.  Still, I think it’s important to show that not
all associates see the aurally correct temperament requirement as a
necessary “evil” to becoming an RPT.  It may seem easy for those who
have long since passed the exam to belabor its benefits, but I am
really very happy that the PTG continues to uphold the tradition.

I’m as tired as anyone of reading the comparisons of a piano
technician to a surgeon or car mechanic, but let’s not forget they all
have something in common: each is a professional who provides a
service to the community.  They market themselves as having enough
knowledge, training, and experience to perform certain tasks with
certain fundamental and facile abilities that the public can be
reasonably well assured that the job will be done correctly.   I know
that before my doctor could diagnose a torn ACL, she was probably able
to name all the bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments.  Before that,
I suspect that she learned the concept of the scientific method: these
are fundamental to the study of medicine.  The car mechanic can hook
my car up to a machine that tells him the timing is off, and my
understanding is that today’s computers will even tell him what parts
need to be adjusted to compensate for this.  When he’s done making
these adjustments, though, I know he takes the car for a test drive to
make sure everything feels right and that the car can perform certain
function as it was designed.

If Pythagoras hadn’t discovered that a bunch of fifths didn’t quite
equal up to several octaves we might not have a job; pretty much
anyone can tune a bunch of pure intervals (though, admittedly,
stability would still be a challenge for most).  Maybe I’m way off,
but I see setting a solid temperament as about the most fundamental
task a piano tuner can perform.  Understanding the interval
relationships and how to listen and test for the subtle differences is
– in my opinion – the core of what we do.

There is a real misunderstanding in all of this debate, that the aural
temperament requirement of the PTG exam is in some way the
organization’s public condemnation of the ETD.  I think that today’s
ETD’s are fine instruments; just like today’s medical technology and
car diagnostics are wonderful tools.  But there is a lot to be said
about having a solid foundation in one’s profession.

That’s all.  Thanks to any who read this.

Alex
Aspiring RPT