[pianotech] Key Bushing Job

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 5 14:14:19 PDT 2009

That is an interesting suggestion.  I think I will try a few on these pianos I'm working on.  I will post the results when finished.  :)

Steven Hopp

From: David at piano.plus.com
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 22:08:04 +0100
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Key Bushing Job

I've no experience with VS profelt, or any other liquid for "decompressing" compressed key bushings. But I was wondering whether the use of cauls, as has been advised here, would strictly be necessary. (Of course they are necessary for holding newly-glue new bushings in place).

If the VS Profelt or other liquid was applied carefully with hypo oiler to the compressed part of the bushing only, would the front rail or balance rail pin not act as a 'caul' by itself, with the key back in place? Or would the bushing cloth expand too much immediately around the pin?

Best,

David.