[pianotech] aural vs edt

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 16:21:04 PDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Ron Koval <drwoodwind at hotmail.com> wrote:

> And from Ryan Sowers:"What raises my eyebrows  is so called "professional"
> piano technicians who can't tune two octaves in the middle of the piano to
> save their life."*******************************
> Those two octaves are the easiest for a machine to solve...And if you add
> the alternate temperament complication,well, it just seems like there's a
> misplaced value ofimportance for solving that ET puzzle aurally.
> The real ear skill that's valuable is the "musician's" ear to solve the
> more important puzzle of how to relate all the octaves to each other to make
> the piano "sing".
> Ron KovalChicagoland
>
> Are aural tuning skills necessary to make money tuning pianos? Of course
not. Do you have to have a high-school diploma to get a good job? No. Does
it help? Of course.

Ron, according to your reasoning we should just forget teaching our children
their multiplication tables because later on they will probably use a
calculator. Why teach them spelling if they can just use the spell checker?

For piano technicians, I believe that learning aural tuning skills is part
of a well-rounded education. I know a number of rebuilders who don't go out
and tune pianos but they took the time to learn at least the minimum
required to pass the RPT exam. Do they regret it? Of course not. Did the
process help them understand pianos and tuning just a little bit more?
Definitely.

Of course, this is all coming from someone with a liberal arts degree. Maybe
I'm just not a practical person! *;)*
--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter