[pianotech] PTG membership (was Re: Aural tuning and RPT status)

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Sun Apr 5 21:36:12 PDT 2009

Comments below:

 John Formsma wrote:

> Duaine & Laura Hechler <dahechler at att.net> wrote:
>
>> SO.... Why should RPT status be permanent without recertification.
>

>  You're not in PTG, so why should you care?
>
> --
> JF
>
> I was for about 7 years until I figured out the PTG that:
>
> - First, Associates are not allowed to use the PTG logo
>
> - Associates can't use PTG forms and other resources *reserved  for RPT's*

 True.  So?  Those are some of the tangible benefits of RPT.  Nothing wrong
with that.

> - Don't care about Associates being left alone to be Associates
>   (with regards to being a tech and just being associated with PTG)
>
> - Associates not being good enough to service the public
>   (even though I know several in our local chapter that are excellent techs
> for over 15 years)
>
> - Making Associates feel like second or third class citizens (until they
> become an RPT)
>
> - Upright and player techs are made to feel worthless
>
> - If you don't service grands then your second or third class citizens
>
> - The Journal, for the most part, is geared to grands.
>   (When, at least, in my area - uprights - rule)
>
> - ETD's are,* for the most part,* considered useless and  *can't  *be
> accepted by hard core people
>
> - If you can't aural tune, you have no business in this business.
>   (For the record, I use the ETD to set the first string and I do all aural
> tuning on the unisons.)
>
> - Associates being overall snubbed until they become RPT's
>
> That should about cover it.
>
> --
> Duaine Hechler

As for ALL the rest of these statements, patently false.  During my seven
years as an Associate I never experienced any of those things.  Really.  You
probably experience them as true, but not because you are an Associate.
They are true for you because you continue to pursue and publicize an
attitude that wants something for nothing.  Not many people respect that,
PTG or otherwise.

If the RPT credentials are continually made less stringent/non-existent,
what's the point in having the credential?  It's a vetting system and though
there are arguments about whether or not the level is high enough, it shows
a basic compentency.  By lowering the standards, it accepts less and less
competency, thereby minimizing/eliminating any value in the credential.  No
one needs another empty certification.

WRM