[pianotech] Drilling a Pin Block.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Apr 6 10:46:18 PDT 2009

Jon Page wrote:
> As Marcel mentioned you can drill twice but whether you do or not,
> .266 is too large.   .257 (F bit) will give a nice firm torque.  .261 (G)
> will give a looser feel and could be used for just the top treble section
> or last octave.  Drill speed in the 900 rpm range.

Single pass drill, and 0.266 may well be too big and you'll
have bit heating problems and torque uniformity issues. Double
pass drill using 0.250 for the first pass, and 0.266 second
pass will produce a VERY tight hole of superior uniformity
throughout the block, with no need to cool the bit at all. I'd
use a 2-3/8" tuning pin too, for this approach.

Ron N