[pianotech] PTG membership (was Re: Aural tuning and RPT status)

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 11:48:27 PDT 2009

Dear list - Though I have not contributed any thoughts before, I read the
posts daily, and find the information very educational and just fun to read.

I would like to give another viewpoint on the treatment of Associates, just
from my perspective.

In my chapter, I feel there is great camaraderie among all the members,
RPT's and Associates alike, with absolutely no difference in treatment. I
have not once felt that my opinion or presence was looked down upon by
anyone. Though I may never be an RPT myself (my hearing "ain't what she used
to be) I do read whatever I can find on aural tuning and try to listen for
what I'm supposed to be hearing. I've been encouraged by chapter members,
but never have I been made to feel less important because I haven't attained
RPT status.

As far as the PTG and the Journal goes, I can safely say there is no
discrimination whatsoever against Associates. I write a monthly piece for
the Journal (mostly about work on upright pianos, at that). The editors are
very encouraging, even though the subject matter I deal with is clearly at a
more elementary level than most of the articles that are printed. Their
concern is that there is material in the Journal suited to the technician
who is just starting out. They (the editors) could not be more accomodating
or easy to work with.

I have recieved calls and e-mails concerning articles from all around the
U.S. Many times, especially with phone calls, I don't know if I'm talking
with a RPT or an Associate, because they don't bother to tell me. Not once
have I had an e-mail or a phone call telling me I have no business writing
for the Journal because I am "just an Associate."

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the subject. I think by and large, most
Associates are very appreciative of the efforts of PTG to make them feel
important and included.         Sincerely, Chuck Behm