[pianotech] piano appraisal help

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 14:17:27 PDT 2009

Hi,I have recently looked at a 91 year old Steinway O which I need to put a
value on. It was rebuilt, probably in the late '50s. Original finish
featured its mahogany veneer; it was refinished in ebony. Restrung w 3/0
pins, hammers & shanks replaced (with the all felt knuckles from the period
just before teflon hit the scene). Pin torque very low, hammers worn out and
action way out of regulation. Soundboard still in decent shape. The piano
had a long life of service in local musical circles.
All in all a perfect candidate for complete remanufacturing (but with a
comparatively healthy looking board most rebuilders would be inclined to
skip putting in a new soundboard).
What is the range of what ye rebuilders would pay for such an instrument (to
rebuild on spec)?
And what range would you put on it for a private party to pay (useable as is
((well really at least $1K of hammer filing & rough regulation)), but for
someone who would have it rebuilt in the near future)?
Obviously the recent economic situation has put a damper on prices that had
been in the "speculative" range not so many years ago.
Your help in this "market research" would be much appreciated. Private
replies most welcome.
Patrick Draine