[pianotech] Old upright

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Mon Apr 6 16:33:27 PDT 2009

      Hmm, well I can tell you what's NOT a good idea and that's the metal tuning pin "sleeves" sold for the purpose by suppliers!  Using larger pins might work, as might sandpaper shim or veneer shim. But it partly depends on what's going on in the pinblock. If there is a crack thrugh several layers of lamination, for example, that's causing a line of pins to be slack, using shims may only force the crack wider.  CA might be a good idea. an easy fix if it works. Can be done without putting the piano on its back, but maybe not feasible if coils touching bushing.

      Best regards,

      David.