[pianotech] upside down CA job report

James Johnson jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 6 17:29:50 PDT 2009

About 6 months ago I shared my experience of treating a grand pin block from the bottom with the piano upside down.  I had previously treated it from the top, but because of the plate bushings, I didn't get good enough penetration to make much of a difference.
Anyway, today I returned to do the 6 month tuning and I'm happy to report that the piano is holding well and all the pins feel quite good.  If I didn't know that the pin block had been treated, I probably wouldn't have noticed that the pins felt different than any other older piano.  I would definately consider using this technique again if circumstances warranted it.  The piano, a Harrington grand, was not worth doing any major rebuilding, nor could the customer have afforded it anyway.  This process saved the piano for what I hope will be a number of years, and for this customer's use, it worked out well.