[pianotech] Board: trash or keep protocol

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Mon Apr 6 17:45:19 PDT 2009

1. Pluck strings in all sections of the piano; listen to bloom and
sustain appropriate to each section. If it sounds good---if there's a
definite increase in sound pressure and amplitude, a "bloom," within a
second or so of the pluck in the tenor and treble (it takes longer
after the pluck for the bloom to appear lower down in the piano) and
then almost a coupling or strengthening of the fundamental tone and
the first two partials as the tone decays---it is good. If not, and if
there's any question or less than strong feeling, we replace the board.
2. Measure bearing across bridges (if necessary.)
3. Determine crown through the various methods talked about here ad
infinitum (if necessary.)

The ears (and the bod they're attached to) are the first and the final
arbiters of everything to do with pianos.
DA