[pianotech] upside down CA job report

James Johnson jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 6 20:12:29 PDT 2009

I removed the action and the music rack, then the lid.  With the lid gone we could roll the piano over on the straight side (after checking the lyre for stability and removing the left front leg) using the lyre as the pivot point.  We left the lyre and two legs on the piano.  We then rolled it all the way over letting it rest on some padded 2X4s on top of a plastic tarp (just in case some of the CA glue escaped).  The customer and one of his drinking buddies helped me flip it over.  The difficult part was laying down on my side and working in the action cavity.  The CA fumes were very concentrated in that small space and even though I had a fan blowing directly on the work, it was still very strong.  Next time I will use a more powerful respirator and some sealed goggles (the type they make for chopping onions will probably work).  Also perhaps some sort of vacuum system to suck the fumes outdoors.