[pianotech] Old upright

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Apr 7 14:32:40 PDT 2009

Dude!

Get a CLUE!

Total... "complete rebuild" includes soundboard, bridges, pinblock,
refinishing, action replacement, damper action replacement,  key
replacement, (player replacement) and RESTRUNG!, etc.  Never say
completely rebuilt unless you mean to really rebuild the whole piano!!!!
It is very important that a customer understands this.  I have run into
this more times that I want to remember....Customer says,"Oh, it was
totally rebuilt 10 years ago"  I look and see all they did was replace
damper felts and bass strings, then give the plate a nice coat of gold
paint barely covering the strings giving that really cheesy look...and
ruining the strings!
You get yourself some reading glasses yourself!  Please stop picking on
people waaaay more experienced than you on rebuilding!  You have a lot to
learn!  If you can't  take the heat...get out of the kitchen...or piano
shop!

Paul

Duaine & Laura Hechler <dahechler at att.net>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
04/07/2009 01:32 PM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [pianotech] Old upright

Wim,

Go buy yourself some reading glasses.

If you are going to quote me ... get it RIGHT !!!!!

I said nothing about restringing.

>From the previous email, "The piano action needed a complete rebuild
....... basically just about everything short of new strings, along with
the player."

Duaine

wimblees at aol.com wrote:
$5000 for action work and stringing might be doable. But Duaine is also
restoring the player system for that. The last time I got a quote from a
reputable player guy, (about 10 years ago), the player itself was in the
$4000 range.

Wim
<snip>
--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years