[pianotech] tobacco smoke in piano

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Wed Apr 8 13:09:26 PDT 2009

George,

Call Dave Swartz - he's in the directory.  Yes it can be gotten rid of,
likely it will cost more than $100 to get rid of it.  I know Dave doesn't
recommend Ozone generators (not because of danger, but because his
experience has been that they do not do a satisfactory job of eliminating
the odor.)

>From what I understand (and am about to put to the test, after having had a
lengthy discussion with Dave) is a variety of products from "Unsmoke."  Goto

http://www.unsmoke.com/lgc/index.htm

and click on the link to "fire restoration products."  Some of the products
Dave recommends are right there:

9D9 <http://www.unsmoke.com/lgc/fire-9d9.htm>
 <http://www.unsmoke.com/lgc/fire-allsurface.htm>
C.O.C.<http://www.unsmoke.com/lgc/fire-coc-ccherry.htm>
Degrease-All <http://www.unsmoke.com/lgc/fire-degreaseall.htm>
Double-0 <http://www.unsmoke.com/lgc/fire-double-o.htm>
 <http://www.unsmoke.com/lgc/fire-drycleaner.htm> Smoke
Wash<http://www.unsmoke.com/lgc/fire-smokewash.htm>
Space Spray <http://www.unsmoke.com/lgc/fire-spacespray-cedar.htm>
 <http://www.unsmoke.com/lgc/fire-thermo55-cherry.htm>
Unsponge<http://www.unsmoke.com/lgc/fire-unsponge-632.htm>
 <http://www.unsmoke.com/lgc/fire-unwetCPDL.htm> Woodcraft Restoration
Cleaner <http://www.unsmoke.com/lgc/fire-woodrest.htm>

Smoke Solve Creme Wood Restorer

Not saying you have to use all of the products, but they are all ones Dave
uses and recommends.  The basic idea is that it is a lot of labor, cleaning
the entire piano by hand, piece by piece as is necessary.  The problem, I
think with Ozone generators is that there is going to be residue on the
piano, and the generator will not remove the residue, only neutralize the
odor - maybe short term, maybe long.  Cleaning with lots of elbow grease is
the only way to actually remove the residue.

Good luck,
William R. Monroe